My Blue Peter Moment

KeithbHumphreys | 06:37 | 0 comments | Filed under Labels: ,
What can you make with a copper disc, 3.5mm jack and a Simple Minds 12" vinyl record ?. Simple an electronic Cymbal.

I've started to play the drums again and am using my son's electronic drum kit and having bought some extra pads from Amazon cheap I only needed to realistic cymbals. After searching the net for cheap electronic cymbals the cheapest I could find was £60 each. 

While searching some forums I found I could make my own by using a peizo component, a 3.5mm jack and some cheap plastic practice cymbals. Now the 2 components was only £3.50 per cymbal so I decided to make a prototype before I bought the practice cymbals.. Surprising enough I could get the components working when connected to my drum machine by hitting the copper disc all I needed now was something to act as the cymbal for my prototype to see if they could be played. 

So I needed something round, plastic and with a hole in the middle. Eureka a 12" vinyl record. So I mounted the components on the record with gaffer tape and put it on my cymbal stand. It worked magic.

I used the record cymbals all weekend my plastic practice cymbals have now arrive and are working well.

Job done     







0 comments



Post a Comment :


Twitter